Naturopathic Treatment of Vaginitis
Vaginitis means that there is inflammation in the vagina. Vaginal irritation accounts for an estimated 10 million healthcare office visits in the United States each year. The causes of vaginal irritation include infections from organisms like Candida albicans, Mycoplasma hominis, Gardnerella vaginalis, and Trichomonas vaginalis but also can be from exposure to a number of irritants including tampons, soaps, detergents, perfumes, condoms, and even semen.
What are the Symptoms of Vaginitis?
The symptoms of vaginitis include:
- Vaginal or perineal vulvar irritation
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Vaginal itching
- Some cases are asymptomatic, meaning there are no symptoms, but there may still be an infection
Natural Treatment of Vaginitis
We address the root cause of vaginitis, through natural approaches such as:
- Reducing excess estrogen, this is your liver’s job. We can enhance clearing of estrogen using specific nutrients that increase estrogen breakdown through the liver
- Providing nutrients to heal and strengthen vaginal tissue. Vitamin A is very important for mucous membranes such as the vaginal lining and important for the immune system.
- Eliminate infectious organisms like Candida, Gardnerella and Mycoplasma. Gardnerella is the microorganism responsible for Bacterial Vaginosis. You can read more on that on my BV page.
- Aiding liver detoxification of hormones (not the kits from the health food store!) and hormone-mimicking pollutants
- Restore probiotic or acidophilus bacteria that protect vaginal tissue from infectious organisms. Certain strains of beneficial bacteria are particularly helpful to maintain vaginal health, these include Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus gasseri.
- Boost immune system function to prevent future infection and fight existing bacteria/yeast. A diet high in refined carbs will feed unwanted organisms and suppress your immune system. Cleaning up your diet, reducing stress, sleeping well, and getting regular exercise all help boost your immunity to infection.
Benefits of Naturopathic Treatment of Vaginitis
- Naturopathic treatment addresses the underlying cause of bacterial vaginosis (BV) or vaginitis in order to cure the condition on a longer-term basis
- Better overall health and hormone balance
- A stronger immune system
For help with this or any other health problem, book an appointment here or call the office for more information at 416-481-0222.
Dr. Pamela has practiced as a naturopathic doctor in Toronto since 1999. She has received numerous “Best Naturopath in Toronto” awards. She is registered with the College of Naturopaths of Ontario.
Dr. Pamela Frank uses a natural treatment approach that may include acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition, diet, vitamins, supplements, and other natural remedies to restore balance and provide long-term resolution to almost any health problem.