Sex Drive, Lust, Libido
What is Sex Drive?
Sex drive is the desire to have sexual relations or intercourse.
What Causes Low Libido?
Some of the factors that affect sex drive are:
- Ovulation and the hormonal changes that accompany it in females
- Hormone balance, healthy estrogen, progesterone, DHEAs, and testosterone levels are important for a healthy libido
- Pheromones – birth control pill use may alter the normal production of pheromones that would normally signal fertility and initiate intercourse
- Stress or hectic lifestyles – high stress inhibits your libido and busy lifestyles leave little time for intimacy
- Dysfunctional relationships – relationship issues can lead to a lack of intimacy
- Menopause or andropause – the decline in reproductive hormones that accompanies these conditions can make intercourse less desirable, less physically possible and even painful
- Lack of sleep or sleep apnea
How can a naturopath help low libido?
- Address hormone balance through diet, exercise, enhancing liver detoxification, supporting normal ovulation and healthy progesterone production.
- Support the endocrine system – adrenal glands, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries/testes
- Stress reduction
- Relationship counselling – enhance the romance
- Optimize the function of the endocrine glands at menopause/andropause for long-term healthy hormone production and healthy libido
- Get more sleep
Blood tests that may help determine the cause of low sex drive for men or women:
Estradiol (day 3 for women), progesterone (day 21 for women), DHEAs, testosterone – free and total, TSH, free T3, free T4, prolactin
For help with this or any other health problem, book an appointment here or call the office for more information at 416-481-0222.
Menopause. 2018 Nov;25(11):1238-1243. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001225.
Predictors of decreased libido in women during the late reproductive years.
Gracia CR1,2, Sammel MD3, Freeman EW1,4, Liu L5, Hollander L5, Nelson DB3.
Sleep Med. 2018 Sep 20;52:158-162. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2018.07.016. [Epub ahead of print]
Sleep and libido in men with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
Mun JK1, Choi SJ2, Kang MR3, Hong SB1, Joo EY4.
Prz Menopauzalny. 2018 Sep;17(3):124-126. doi: 10.5114/pm.2018.78556. Epub 2018 Sep 30.
Mood disorders in women with premature ovarian insufficiency.