Teenagers are notorious for them, partners get themselves into trouble around PMS because of them and some folks have them because they just need a sandwich – right now!
Let’s take a look at the root causes of mood swings:
- Hormones – PMS, menopausal women, andropausal men, and teenagers have this in common, stay away from PMS’ing teenagers.
- Hypoglycemia – Blood sugar dips can affect our mood, but blood sugar dips are also a sign that all is not right with the system that should be smoothing out these dips. Did you know that even if you miss a meal you shouldn’t get cranky?
- Dehydration – yep, not only will missing out on food make you hangry but so will missing out on water intake.
- Food sensitivities – Foods that create inflammation don’t limit that inflammation to just your tummy, inflammation can wreak havoc on your poor brain too. Does an inflamed brain work how it normally would? Nope.
How can we fix mood swings?
- Balance hormones – Help your liver to clear out excess hormone with indole-3-carbinol, 5MTHF, P5P, B12, and glucarate, reduce starch and sugar intake, and support these glands – pituitary, adrenal glands, ovaries, testes, thyroid – for optimal hormone production.
- Fix hypoglycemia – keep adrenal glands running smoothly so that blood sugar dips don’t happen regardless of how often you eat. Give them vitamin B5, B6, C, magnesium, zinc and adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha, ginseng, Rhodiola, and Schisandra.
- Stay hydrated – start your day with 2 cups of water, drink another cup 1/2 hour before each meal and another cup in the evening.
- Do a blood test for IgG and IgA food sensitivities and remove those foods from your diet.
Dr. Pamela has been in practice as a naturopathic doctor in Toronto since 1999. She has been the recipient of numerous “Best Naturopath in Toronto” awards. She is registered with the College of Naturopaths of Ontario.
Dr. Pamela Frank uses a natural treatment approach that may include acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition, diet, vitamins, supplements, and other natural remedies to restore balance and provide long-term resolution of almost any health problem.