Common Causes of Night Sweats
- Hormones: A common phenomenon around menopause and PMS, night sweats can signify hormone changes, imbalances or deficiencies. They are not limited to women, men can have night sweats too. Testing helps to clarify if hormones are the source of the problem. If so, then there are natural ways to support optimal hormone production even through and beyond menopause or andropause. At any age, you want to support your glands that maintain hormone balance in men and women (liver, adrenals, ovaries/testes, and thyroid). We accomplish this through your diet, vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other nutrients. This balances and optimizes your hormones through menopause/andropause and beyond.
- Bacterial or Viral Infections: A CBC or complete blood cell count can give an indicator if there is an active bacterial or viral infection. White blood cells known as lymphocytes are increased when there is a viral infection. Neutrophils tend to increase with a bacterial infection. We can boost your immune system to better tackle infections to kick viruses or bacteria to the curb.
- Medication Side Effects: Night sweats can be a side effect of certain drugs such as anti-depressants and anti-diabetes drugs. See the prescribing physician about adjusting dosages if these side effects are keeping you up at night.
- If your night sweats are accompanied by other serious symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes, unexplained weight loss, and extreme fatigue you need to see your medical doctor immediately to look for serious causes of night sweats.
- Hypoglycemia: Dips in your blood sugar throughout the night can trigger sweating. Your adrenals and liver should maintain a stable blood sugar through the night. Other signs of hypoglycemia include feeling weak, shaky, dizzy, light-headed, headachey or irritable if you go too long without eating. If these occur, see one of our naturopathic doctors for help correcting adrenal gland function.
Blood tests for Night Sweats
The following are some blood tests that help determine the cause of night sweats:
If night sweats are disturbing your sleep, I can help resolve any of the above problems. I use only natural treatments including vitamins, minerals, herbs, diet, stress reduction, exercise, and adrenal gland support.